Mc Kee Glass Comet Table Set Pedestal Sugar Celery Vase
- <g:identifier_exists>FALSE</g:identifier_exists>: False
Vintage From Paul is delighted to offer this simply stunning Mc Kee Glass Comet Table Set Pedestal Sugar Celery Vase, circa 1887.
This piece is part of the FOUR (4) Piece TABLE SET pictured in the book " American Pattern Glass Table Sets" by Gene and Cathy Florence.
The Mc Kee Glass Comet Table Set Pedestal Sugar Celery Vase measures 7- 1/2 inches high; the upper diameter is 3-1/2 inches and the base is 3-3/8 inches in diameter.
This Mc Kee Glass Comet Table Set Pedestal Sugar Celery Vase is part of the FOUR (4) Piece TABLE SET pictured in the book " American Pattern Glass Table Sets" by Gene and Cathy Florence.
Most of the body is cylidrical. The straight sides taper in slightly from base to rim. They are filled with an indescribably complicated cut glass effect. This was achieved by dividing the body into four equal parts separated with a cylindrical v-shaped ridge slewed or swirled from top to bottom.
The base of the bowl have small circular puntys, which van also be seen on the knnob supporting the bowl. The high standard is eight sided accented with a cut and beveled star design.
TheMc Kee Glass Comet Table Set Pedestal Sugar Celery Vase is in pristine condition.but it does have the usual old mould marks from the glassmaking process, like bubbles, straw marks, and swirls/striations...all common to glass produced during the late 1800's
A BEAUTIFULLY ORNATE example of Early American Pattern Glass...and what a rare find indeed!
We ship the day after payment is received/cleared using Insured Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. Parcels are generally received in 2-3 days depending on your location.
About The McKee Glass Company
McKee and Company (McKee Glass Company) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (c.1834-1888) Jeannette, Pennsylvania (1888-1951) This company went through various name and ownership changes. Sources of information on McKee frequently disagree and the time-line for company and factory names and their actual years of operation are confusing and incomplete. At least 4 or 5 McKee brothers were involved in the early glass industry in Pittsburgh. Samuel & James McKee reportedly started a factory in Pittsburgh circa 1834. Samuel McKee operated a factory (S.McKee & Company) after c.1836.(Some sources give 1850 or 1860). There were evidently at least 3 separate McKee factories under operation at the same time, using similar names, although the owners, of course, were related. Bottles, fruit jars, window glass and other products were made in abundance. Company names included "McKee Brothers" and "McKee Brothers & Co" during certain periods. Glass factory embossed marks on some bottles give the spelling as "M'Kee". Threadless glass telegraph line insulators (CD 731) marked "S.McKee & Co." were evidently produced in the Civil War period and immediately afterward (circa 1865-1875). McKee moved to Jeannette, PA in 1888, (at that time known as McKee Brothers' Works), and then in 1899 became part of the National Glass Company "combine". However, by 1903, McKee had apparently broken away from the combine, and later reorganized to become known as the "McKee-Jeannette Glass Works". At some point in time, it seems to have become known simply as "McKee Glass Company", but with perhaps some minor variations in the exact business name being used through the years. Under this name large quantities of high quality glassware was produced, including pressed "pattern glass", milk glass and other opaque ware, blackglass, etc. Window glass was also produced, at least during the early years at Jeannette. McKee also made industrial glassware as I have received information from Mark Ounan indicating they produced automotive glass headlight lenses in the c. 1917 period. He owns a lense marked "Dodge Brothers / U. S. A. / McKee & Co. / Jeannette PA". I presume this is the same company as "McKee Glass Company" though there is a slight possibility it was a separate McKee company also located in Jeannette. Any additional info is appreciated. After many years of production the factory was acquired in 1951 to become the McKee Division of Thatcher Glass Company. In 1961 Jeannette Glass Company bought the property and a variety of pressed glass items and ornamental tableware was manufactured there by Jeannette until it closed in 1983.